Honesty, justice, and courtesy form a moral philosophy which, associated with mutual interest among people, constitutes the foundation of ethics. The members should recognize such a standard, not a passive observance, but as a set of dynamic principles guiding their conduct. It is their duty to practice the profession according to this code of ethics.
As the keystone of professional conduct is integrity, the members will discharge their duties with fidelity to the public, their clients, and with fairness and impartiality to all. They should uphold the honor and dignity of their profession and avoid Society with any enterprise of questionable character, or apparent conflict of interest.
1. The member will express an opinion only when it is based on practical experience and honest conviction.
2. The member will always act in good faith toward each client.
3. The member will not disclose any information concerning the results of the inspection without the approval of the clients or their representatives.
4. The member will not accept compensation, financial or otherwise, from more than one interested party for the same service without the consent of all interested parties.
5. Members shall not repair, replace, or upgrade, for compensation, systems or components covered by the home inspection.
6. The member will not accept nor offer commissions or allowances, directly or indirectly, from other parties dealing with their client in connection with work for which the member is responsible.
7. The member will promptly disclose to his client any interest in a business which may affect the client. The member will not allow an interest in any business to affect the quality or results of their inspection work which they may be called upon to perform.
8. An inspector shall make every effort to uphold, maintain and improve the professional integrity, reputation and practice of the home inspection profession. He will report all such relevant information, including violations of this Code by other members, to the Society for possible remedial action.
9. Members shall strive to meet and maintain the ideals and goals of the Society and the home inspection profession.
10. Members shall refrain from engaging in any act or practice that would be deemed harmful, libelous, or damaging to the Society, employees, Directors or fellow members.
11. Members shall abide by the Society’s by-laws, Standard and policy documents.
12. Members shall display the Society’s trademarks, logos and designations in the approved manner only.