Steps to Becoming a Professional Home Inspector
(CANDIDATE, ASSOCIATE, THEN A PHI)
To be a candidate, complete an application form and submit it to the APHIS office along with your payment of $ 500.00 + gst 25.00 = $ 525.00. (payment includes a one-time membership application fee of $100.00). Please include a summary of your past experience and any verifiable copies of degrees, diplomas, certificates as well as any other related information regarding your construction background.
There are 2 ways to satisfy the education
- Diploma from Carson Dunlop (this includesSAIT, Ashton College, NAIT, Medicine Hat College, Bow Valley College or NorQuest College)
- Successful completion of the National Home Inspectors Exam (NHIE)
For information: www.homeinspectionexam.org
To register for a Canadian exam: http://www.goamp.com/
This is one 200 question exam. The exam fee is $325 USD.
There are writing locations in Edmonton and Calgary.
The Carson Dunlop materials are available through our APHIS Alberta office, click here to access an order form. A set (10 courses) is $4,495.00 (no applicable gst) plus freight $73.50 (includes gst)
They are also available through SAIT, Ashton College, NAIT, Medicine Hat College, Bow Valley College or NorQuest College.
2. Report verification
Submit 3- 5 reports to verify that you are reporting to the Standards of Practise.
3. Test Inspection with Peer Review (TIPR)
You will complete an inspection accompanied by a PHI.
Successful completion of these 3 steps will give you associate status and qualify you for a license.
4. Obtaining PHI Status
- Once you have completed 250 fee paid exams, you will submit proof.
- Complete a Mock Inspection with Peer Review (MIPR).